Texas Tech University
Below are historical tidbits on various Texas Tech campus buildings and
Also, the Board of Regents minutes show a
progression in how TTU buildings and structures have evolved. Several campus
maps have been digitized and are accessible
|All buildings are listed
alphabetically by first name.
Buildings & Structures - A
Plant Sciences Building
The laying of
the cornerstone took place on November 11, 1924, before a crowd of 20,000
people. Governor Pat Neff, standing on a cotton bale, addressed the
crowd. Other speakers included Amon G. Carter, Reverend E. E.
Robinson, Colonel E. O. Thompson, and Representative R. M. Chitwood.
Placed in the
corner stone was a time capsule containing such items as the bylaws and
member roster of the local Masonic Lodge, various newspapers, a certified
copy of the Senate Bill which established the college, and a list of the
Texas Tech Board of Directors.
- On the north side of the building is an inscription of
a King Solomon quotation- "Righteousness exalteth a nation, but sin is a
reproach to any people."
- On the north side are the words "agriculture, science,
manufacturing, democracy, homemaking, art and literature," which describe
the endeavors of the college.
- On the archway of the north side are the words
"patriotism, religion, industry, virtue, wealth, enlightenment, and
citizenship," which represent the goals students should strive towards.
- On the archway on the south side are the names of 15
people who were thought to embody the ideals of the school officials.
The names include Benjamin Franklin, Luther Burbank, St. Paul, Pestalozzi,
Plato, Aristotle, Homer, Shakespeare, Hippocrates, Beethoven, and
- The Gallery of Heroes, located on the second floor of
the north side, depict images of Christopher Columbus, George Washington,
Abraham Lincoln, Robert E. Lee, Woodrow Wilson, James Hogg, Albert Sidney
Johnston, Davy Crockett, Stephen F. Austin and Sam Houston.
- In 1975, the ornamental spire on the west tower was
replaced after being hit by lightening.
- October 21, 1961, the building dedication was held in
the lobby of the building and included a tour and exhibits. The
$380,000 building was 26,725 square feet. (PI release 10-18-61)
and Art Facilities
- November 5, 1968, the general construction contract for
$4,260,718 was awarded to H. A. Lott, Inc. for two buildings- the
architecture building would be 12 stories tall with a "U" shaped, three
story tall art building adjacent to it on the east side.
Reserve Training Center
- George E. Benson was appointed to represent the Board
of Directors at the February 22, 1956, ground breaking ceremony for the
Army Reserve Training Center, which would be located at the northwest
corner of the City Auditorium-Coliseum. The land was leased to the
Texas National Guard Armory Board. (BOR 2/11/56 item 736)
Buildings & Structures- B
- Built in 1948, the dormitory cost an estimated $1,786,163 to build.
- The groundbreaking was held on June 29, 1967 at 10:30
Boston Avenue Residence Hall
- Built in 1955, the Building Committee recommended
proceeding with plans to enlarge the bookstore by approximately 8,000
square feet at an estimated cost of $100,000. (BOR 2/11/56 item 733)
- The 178,000 square-foot, LEED certified facility,
located at 18th and Boston, officially opened on August 16, 2012,
approximately 15 months after its groundbreaking.
- The Commons by United Supermarkets had
its ribbon cutting ceremony on August 29, 2012.
- Prior to 1966, the old horse barns and corrals once
inhabited the site of what later became the Business Administration
building. (IS 3-12-13-66)
- Dedication ceremonies for the new $4.5 million BA
facility, located at 15th and Flint, was held on October 6, 1969, in the
auditorium. A symposium and open house event was also held as part of
the building dedication.
- The new, state of the art Rawls
College of Business Building officially opened for classes in January,
Buildings & Structures - C
- Built in 1959, the dormitory cost an estimated
$2,604,351 to build.
Cheri Casa- Dormitory
- Cheri Casa, a men's dormitory, officially opened in
1926 with a Spanish-themed party, replete with music by Chuck Collins
and his Cheri-Casans.
- The building was a Spanish style white stucco
structure located at 2406-2408 Main Street. It
boasted having large rooms, hot and cold water, a roof garden and
adjacent barber and tailor shops and drug store.
- 1925-1926 programs and invitations for
events at the Cheri Casa Home for Boys and the Quick Dormitory Home for
Boys, located at 9th Street and Avenue X, have been digitized from the
Cole Scrapbook and can be viewed
- Construction on the Chemistry Building began in 1929.
- Groundbreaking ceremonies for the $5.5 million addition
to the chemistry building were held on October 25, 1968. The new
structure comprised of 125,600 square feet and included an auditorium
that seated 300.
- Built in 1967, the dormitory cost an estimated $18,000,000 to build.
- Officially opened on September 14, 1963 and initially
referred to as "Dorm Six".
- Groundbreaking ceremonies were held on October 8, 1969,
for the new $990,000 laboratory addition, located just east of the Civil
and Mechanical Engineering Building.
College Inn- Dormitory
- College Inn was a women's dormitory.
Buildings & Structures- D
Sign, aka "The Big T"
- Built in 1934, the dormitory cost an estimated $313,168 to build.
- In 2002, Doak was changed from an upper-classman and
graduate co-ed dormitory to an all male residence.
- The senior class of 1938 donated a electric neon Double
T sign which was placed in Memorial Circle until its move to Jones
Stadium. [The Tex Talks article in July 1950 claims the Double
T was actually located in the area where the Science Building was built
and not in Memorial Circle).
- In 1950, the Big T was moved from its
traditional spot between the Library and Chemistry buildings to east of
Jones Stadium. It was moved to make room for the new science building. (Tex
Talks July, 1950)
- Built in 1938, the dormitory cost an estimated $371,428 to build.
- Girl's dormitory No. 2 to be named "Florence A. Drane
Hall." (BOD 8-31-46)
- In 1952, Drane became a men's dormitory. (Texas
- For the 1954-55 school year, Drane Hall was approved
for use by female students. (BOR 4/12/54 item 1218)
Buildings & Structures - F
- The construction of a fountain to the newly named Amon
G. Carter Plaza at the Broadway entrance was approved by the Board of
Regents. The funding for this marker shared by the Saddle Tramps,
who raised $11,500, and the university, which picked up the remainder of
- Original plans for the 75 foot fountain with of seven
30 foot water sprays that would surround and enhance the Tech Seal. (IS
Buildings & Structures - G
- Opened in 1963, Gates was named after W. B. Gates,
former Dean of the Graduate School. It was one of the first air
conditioned dorms on the Texas Tech campus.
- The buildings was officially designated as completed on
August 31, 1951, at an estimated cost of $8,366,94. The contractors
were Lord and Burnham Construction Corporation, Irvington-on-Hudson, New
York City, New York. However, TTC completed construction of the
lighting. (BOR 8/11/51 item 1365)
- Approved the preparation of schematic plans for a
Gymnasium for Men of approximately 65,000 square feet, plus a full size
swimming pool and a Gymnasium for women of approximately 20,000 sqaure
feet. (BOR 8/21/54 item 1961)
- The original Gymnasium, constructed in 1926, by J. B.
Maxey from a design by Wyatt C. Hedrick, was condemned in 1982. As the
Legislature was reluctant to pay for a gym in 1926, Tech asked for a
barn which could also serve as a gym. The gym was thus nicknamed "The
Barn" and athletes and livestock shared the space. The 11,700 foot
building held up to 2,000 spectators. ("Old Gym Held Tech History,"
Texas Techsan, July/August 1984)
- The first game in the "new gym" was in 1927 against
Wayland Baptist College. Tech won 30-16 against its rival. Later, the
Harlem Globetrotters and many Golden Gloves tournaments were held in the
gym. ("Old Gym Held Tech History," Texas Techsan, July/August 1984)
Buildings & Structures - H
Kent R. Hance Chapel
- Privately funded, the chapel, which can seat
approximately 250 guests, cost more than $3.5 million to complete and
was named after the chancellor for TTU. It is located off 17th street
and University, by the McKenzie-Merket Alumni Center. The project was
approved by the Board of Regents in February 2011, construction began in
May 2011, and completed on June 2012.
- The first
wedding held in the chapel was of Beth Chchran and Daniel Moser on May
- Built in 1948 and referred to initially as "Girls Dorm
III," the dormitory cost an estimated $1,787,115 to build.
Holden Hall oral
history interview (1972)- dedication ceremony
Carol Collier oral
history interview (undated)- Peter Hurd mural
- The old Museum Building was renamed
Holden Hall by the Board of Regents on February 11, 1972 to honor Tech
professor William Curry Holden. This was notable in that it was the
first time that any building on the Tech campus, other than a dormitory,
was named after an individual.
- Built in 1964, the dormitory cost an estimated $3,124,008 to build.
Buildings & Structures - I
International Cultural Center
- Also originally referred to as the Multicultural
Services Center and the Lubbock International Cultural Center. It
began as the Lubbock International Cultural Center (LICC) and was
incorporated on September 26, 1986. On September 15, 1988, it
received 501(c)(3) status from the Internal Revenue Service. In
the November of 1991 meeting, the Texas Tech Board of Regents agreed to
offer a campus location at 4th Street and Indiana Avenue.
Buildings & Structures - J
- Haynes and Kirby, Architects and Engineers, were
accepted to work on the proposed addition. (BOR 5/26/52 item 1147A)
- Tidmore Construction Company's contract to work on
the proposed additions to the Stadium were approved. (BOR 9/27/52 item
Buildings & Structures - L
- See Temporary Classroom and Office Buildings [below]
for information about the earliest Law School structures.
- The first books were donated by Clifford B. Jones in
- Tech's first librarian, Elizabeth Howard West, was
hired in May of 1925.
- The first library was housed in the
west wing of the Administration Building. In 1937, Governor James Allred
signed appropriations for a separate building and the cornerstone for
this building was set in the ground on March 8, 1938. It was ready to
receive patrons by the start of the fall 1938 school year.
- When the Library was moved into its new building, it
was officially named the "James V. Allred Library," (BOR 7/16/38)
- A copy of the invitation and program for the "Laying
of the Cornerstone of the New Library Building," dated March 8, 1938,
can be found in the Charles Eatherly Collection. James Allred, then
Governor of Texas, gave an address at the event.
- The dedication ceremony for the new
library building, where it is currently housed today, was held on
October 21, 1962.
- The first basketball games were held in the Livestock
Pavilion in 1926. The first game in the "new gym" was in 1927 against
Wayland Baptist College. ("Old Gym Held Tech History," Texas Techsan,
- The committee report on the proposed City
Auditorium-Coliseum included recommendations such as two proposed sites,
a deed containing a reversion of title clause, city operation and
maintenance of the building, and conformation of architectural design to
the rest of the campus. (BOR 11/1/52 item 370)
- The bill authorizing conveyance of a tract of land
not to exceed 7 1/2 acres was approved for the site of the new City
Auditorium-Coliseum. (BOR 2/12/53 item 758)
- The groundbreaking ceremonies were
held on May 19, 1954.
Buildings & Structures - K
- Construction on KTXT-TV began in the spring of 1962 and
it first began airing on October 16, 1962.
- Until July 1963, all the station's programming was on
film. Afterwards, TTU received a videotape recorder and $10,000 worth of
recording tape, thus allowing for viewing of programming from other
educational television stations.
- 99 students were enrolled in the first semester of
the station's television instruction courses. (IS release 1-1-22-66)
Buildings & Structures - M
Harriet McClellan Infirmary
Engineering Laboratories Building
- Approved construction of additional facilities to the
College Infirmary (BOD 9/24/49)
- Motion was made to approve the construction of the
first unit of a Student Services Building and the Butler-Brasher Company
was chosen as the architects. (BOR 11/7/53 item 454)
- The location for the Infirmary was set to be east of
the Student Union building and across the street south of the College
Bookstore. (BOR 4/12/54 item 1202)
- The preliminary plans submitted by architects
Butler-Brasher Company were approved. (BOR 8/21/54 item 1970)
- A memorial gift by Mrs. Len McClellan was offered for
the naming of the building. (BOR 11/1/52 item 364)
- Construction bids were publicly opened and read on
February 11, 1955. (BOR 2/12/55 item 766)
- W. G. McMillan and Son was awarded the contract for
the infirmary building. (BOR 2/12/55 attachment 8)
- The start of construction for the $305,000 building,
which had 12,000 square feet, happened on March 21, 1960. Construction
was done by Hammock Co. (PI release 3-21-60)
- The College of Media and Communications, formerly the
College of Mass Communications, was moved to the renovated Media and
Communications Building, formerly known as the Business Administration
Building, in 2012. The ribbon cutting ceremony was held on August 23,
- The name "Memorial Circle is approved in 1948. (BOD
- Dr. William Curry Holden was appointed the first
Director of Museum in 1938.
- The Museum's dedication events took
place on November 13-14, 1970 and included a dedication of the Moody
Planetarium, guest speakers Frank A. Taylor, George Mahon and
MartinDies, and a flag ceremony.
- The new building was dedicated on May 13, 1952. A
tour of the building and formal concert was part of the ceremony.
- The University Center/Music Facility
was dedicated at 7 p.m. on Sunday, January 23, 1977.
- The dedication of the Gene Hemmle
Recital Hall was held on October 2, 1979, and was accompanied by a
recital by Emilia Simone and William Westney.
Buildings & Structures - P
- The following buildings were deemed unnecessary and
were turned over for disposal: Building No. 6- Administration;
Building No. 8- Cafeteria; Building No. 9- Barrack; and Building No. 29-
Barrack. (BOR 11/7/53 item 454)
- A lease with the Amarillo College District was
approved for the use of the Administration, Cafeteria and two barrack
buildings at PanTech Farms in zone 1 for an on-site Vocational Training
Center. (BOR 4/18/56 item 1015)
House (Central Heating Plant)
- The Health Sciences Center School of Pharmacy opened
its Abilene campus officially on August 12, 2007. The building was
36,000 square feet and done in Spanish-styled architecture.
- A permanent Power House and associated utility tunnel
system was authorized by the Texas Legislature in 1931. The building was
razed in 1998 when energy demands far exceed its output. The single
decorative medallion, representing a modification to the military
engineering symbol, that had been over its arched entrance was relocated
to the Frazier Pavilion.
- Board approved spending $245 to alter Building X-% to
house the Department of Psychology (BOR 8/12/50 item 3067)
Campus Buildings & Structures - R
Rip Griffin Park
- A $5 million renovation to the Dan Law Field at the
newly named Rip Griffin Park was celebrated with its official opening in
Buildings & Structures - S
Collection/Special Collections Library
- Built in 1938, the dormitory cost an estimated $345,133 to build.
- The second dormitory building, originally called
"Men's Residence Hall No. 2," was named the "Joe T. Sneed Hall" in 1941.
- $14,000 was appropriated to carry out the Board of
Directors' order to move, set up and operate the Southwest Collection in
the Museum Building. (BOR 7/9/55 item 1433)
- The SWC's ten millionth donated item was a file copy
of a letter to President Franklin D. Roosevelt from Judge Marvin Jones
of Amarillo. It was received in 1977.
- The West Texas Museum Association agreed to pay for a
small building east of the Museum was remodeled for the installation of
a Spitz Planetarium at the estimated cost of $3,000-3,500. In the
proposal, it was pointed out that only two units were available in Texas
at the time, one in Houston and one in Fort Worth, and both were quite
successful. (BOR 11/2/52 item 372)
- Built in 1964, the dormitory cost an estimated $3,971,394 to build.
Judging Pavilion and Living Quarters
- The building was officially designated as completed on
June 9, 1951 at an estimated cost of $1,994,93 (BOR 8/11/51 item 1365)
Union Building (Student Union Building or SUB, also formerly called the University Center or "UC")
- After over five years of renovation, the Student Union
Building had it's official grand opening on 8/6/06.
James G. Allen oral
history interview (1983)- development of the
The University Center/Music Facility was dedicated at 7 p.m.
on Sunday, January 23, 1977.
Buildings & Structures - T
Temporary Classroom and Office Buildings
- Due to tight funding from the State and an expected
enrollment of 20,000 students, TTU purchased from Sheppard Air Force
Base at Wichita Falls, Texas, 19 temporary buildings to be used for
classroom and office space. TTU paid $1 for each building, which
were then each renovated to accommodate 120 students.
- Five of these buildings were used for the new Law
School and Law Library and were placed near the Plant Sciences Building
and the west of the Science Building. (IS release 7-8-2-66)
- Built in 1958, the dormitory cost an estimated $2,705,120 to build.
Traffic and Parking - Entry Stations
- Approved in February of 1966 by the Board of Regents,
the four entry stations were officially opened on April 14, 1966.
The locations were: Station 1 at the Broadway entrance west of
Gordon, Station 2 at the 15th Street entrance to the Drane Hall parking
lot, Station 3 at 17th and Boston, and Station 4 across from the 15th
Street Meats Lab. The hours for the station ran from 7:15 a.m. to
3:15 p.m. (IS release 17-4-14-66)
Buildings & Structures - V
- The building was officially designated as completed on
May 31, 1951 and cost $11,517,25 (BOR 8/11/51 item 1365)
Buildings & Structures - W
- Built in 1963, the dormitory cost an estimated $3,450,001 to build.
- Opened in 1965, the dorm was named after C. I. "Stoney"
Wall, a former member of the TTU Board of Directors.
- Designation of Margaret Watson Weeks Dormitory, #733,
- Tech Women's Dorm No. 5 was designated "Weeks Hall" in honor of
Margaret Watson Weeks. (Toreador, December 17, 1957)
- Built in 1958, the dormitory cost an estimated $1,730,520 to build.
- Built in 1934, the dormitory cost an estimated $326,713 to build.
- Originally called the Men's Dormitory No.1, the first
dormitory building was named "J. M. West Hall" in 1941 (BOD 11/15/41)
- Approved housing of college athletes in Men's
Dormitory No. 1, (BOD 5/9-5/10/49)
- Approved set up for the housing of athletes in Men's
Dormitory no. 1, effective September 1, 1949 (BOD 5/30/49)
- The building was named after Chanslor E. Weymouth, who
was one of the founders of the Boys' Ranch at Tascosa.
- The building, named after Texas Tech President Dossie
M. Wiggins, was conceived to be a six-tower $17 dormitory complex at
19th and Flint. Three of the towers were scheduled to be completed
by September, 1967, with the other three towers to be finished by the
fall of 1969. (IS release 18-5-28-66)
- Each tower was expected to house 572 students and
would be 11 stories tall. (IS release 32-2-12-66)
Will Rogers Statue
- The statue was dedicated on February 16, 1950.
*IS = Information
Services, which later was known as University News and Publications. The
department is now called Marketing and Communications.
*PI = Public
Information, was another name used at one time for University News and
Publications. The department is now called Marketing and Communications.
*BOD/BOR = Board
of Directors/Board of
Back to the University Archives Historical
TTU Tidbits Page